[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Tue Dec 30 08:38:02 UTC 2003

Some time ago on Lias there was a discussion about finding a stable
Linux alternative for organizations that do not want to purchase RHEL Linux.

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:51, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>>Please don't use the "switch to Debian" (or another
>>community-supported distro) answer.  :-)

FWIW, I am currently evaluating some options and thought I'd post
summary here and invite feedback.

The basis for evaluation (is this valid?) is:

RedHat offers something that "community distros" cannot supply - but the
cost for RedHat in a production environment is prohibitive.

Q-1: Why RedHat rather than community supported distros?

A-1: To date, most Linux software and hardware vendors have standardised
- they support hardware/software for RedHat only.

Q-2: Why NOT RedHat?

A-2: The cost for licensing under the new RedHat system starts at around
AU$500 per server for the "Basic" version, through to around AU$4,000
per server for the "Premium" edition.

  http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/purchase/index.html

Q-3: What about RedHat software without RedHat cost?

A-3: Legal "community" distributions are already available that will
provide access to Redhat updates and errata for at least another five years:

  http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/RedHat/rhel-forks.html

I intend to DL and evaluate both of these:

   Centos-3:  http://www.caosity.org/

   White Box Linux: http://whiteboxlinux.org/

I will report back here on what I find.

At the same time, I am doing a re-evaluation of debian, FreeBSD and
several other distro's as a "reality check" :)

All feedback thoughts, comments and alternative suggestions are welcome :)

R.