[Lias] Re: [OpenLDAP] - Some success

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 13:09:01 UTC 2003

Craig Ringer said:
>> Dec 17 15:26:14 Voyager nscd: nss_ldap: reconnected to LDAP server after 1
>> attempt(s)
>
> For debugging purposes you're often better off disabling nscd.
>
> As for the rest of your problem - I can't really tell what could be
> wrong. Have you confirmed that the user you're trying to log in is in
> the ldap directory? Made sure you can authenticate as them using the
> LDAP tools?
>
> Try:
>
> 	ldapsearch -x -h localhost
This still just gives this:

ldapsearch -x -h localhost
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

> and see if the user is listed. If so, try
>
> 	ldapserch -x -D $USER_DN -w

But this gives a complete listing!
After a lot of fiddling abd editing of files ....................
I can now ssh etc as one of the ldap users (provided they are a posix user with a
shell!)

It seems amazing the number of places you have to put the rootdn password in cleartext!
Onward and upward!

--
Simon Bryan
IT Manager