[Fwd: Re: [Lias] OpenLDAP]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 17 12:44:01 UTC 2003

> Dec 17 15:26:14 Voyager nscd: nss_ldap: reconnected to LDAP server after 1 attempt(s)

For debugging purposes you're often better off disabling nscd.

As for the rest of your problem - I can't really tell what could be
wrong. Have you confirmed that the user you're trying to log in is in
the ldap directory? Made sure you can authenticate as them using the
LDAP tools?

Try:

	ldapsearch -x -h localhost

and see if the user is listed. If so, try

	ldapserch -x -D $USER_DN -w

(where $USER_DN is the user's LDAP distinguished name. In my LDAP
directory, I'm:
	uid=craig,ou=People,dc=postnewspapers,dc=com,dc=au
)

and see if you can bind as them to the directory. If you can't do that,
then there's something wrong with your LDAP setup and nothing else will
work.

Once you can bind directly as the user, /then/ try it through ssh or a
console login. If you still have trouble, make sure that _both_ pam_ldap
and nss_ldap are correctly configured - if only one is (especially if
it's just PAM), weird things tend to happen.

Craig Ringer