[Lias] OpenLDAP

Gary Reynolds gary at touch.asn.au
Wed Dec 17 12:12:01 UTC 2003

Simon,

Have you considered having Windows authenticate against the LDAP
directory rather than against Samba?

I use pGina to authenticate our Windows 2000 boxes here at the
University of Sydney, and users then have a share auto-mapped to X:
drive from our Samab 2 server. Only issue is using plain text
passwords, but this is no major problem, especially considering you
need an extra entity in the LDAP directory if you wish to use Samba as
the authenticator...

My setup is essentially users are in the directory with "objectclass:
posixAccount" and all subsequently necessary attributes, which then
means that using PAM grants them local machine access. Each user has
their home directory created with my import script, and the [homes]
share in smb.conf looks after giving them a named share.

I also get the benefit of allowing special users to be Administrators,
simply by membership of a group in the directory, meaning that by using
their normal account they can do "administrator things" and not need to
bother me. When I don't trust them anymore, I can remove them from the
group ;)

Cheers,
Gary