[Lias] Samba and WIndows AD

Daniel Palmer DanielPalmer at tcs.act.edu.au
Mon Dec 1 05:33:37 UTC 2003

Samba 3 will not currently act as a Windows 2000 DC..  It works nicely
as a member server in a 2000/2003 AD domain, but not as DC for it.
However, Samba can support different backends, EG LDAP (like AD).  So
from my understanding, you could have a Samba "NT" PDC which will
authenticate clients against another LDAP source of your choice - useful
if having LDAP access to the directory was one of your reasons for going
to 2000/2003.

I've migrated several NT domains to 2000 / 2003 and haven't run into any
hastles - isn't too hard a path to take if you want the other AD
features..

Daniel Palmer
http://itmanagers.net