[Lias] LTSP - Winbind - Final hurdle

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 11 12:56:01 UTC 2003

  > LTSP sites face the same problem for assigning and locking down profiles
> of users. Have you looked to see what solutions they have come up with?

I'm a production LTSP user :-)

We decided on a nice simple approach - avoid the main GUIs like GNOME
and KDE, and use XFCE4. XFCE4 is much easier to centrally manage in a
useful way, smaller, faster, and has a cleaner UI. You can, of course,
still use the GNOME|KDE apps, file managers, etc.

GNOME and KDE both came off as too big, fat, slow, and hard to
administrate for us to want to use them.

We're also actually using ROX-Filer ( http://rox.sourceforge.net/ )
instead of the GNOME file manager, Nautilus. Again, this is due to
resource concerns and manageability.

The great thing about these simple tools is how easy they are to fix and
customize.

Of course, if you need a full "windows-like" desktop, this won't be for
you - but it's very handy in our environment. XFCE4 has a certain "macOS
  X dock" like feel about it (actually, it's derived from the CDE, as is
the MacOS X dock - a desktop on old UNIX like HP-UX, Solaris, etc).

Craig Ringer