[Lias] host name

Parkes High School parkeshs at ozemail.com.au
Mon Oct 28 07:06:01 UTC 2002

I have mandrake 7.2 set up on a machine and I use it as a proxy server
and mail server.

As a pop server I have cucipop and postfix as smtp.

The machine is on our school network and as such does not have a proper
domain name.

I gave it the name proxy.com when I first set it up as a proxy server.

I later added the pop and smtp servers and was able to give staff
members email address like xxx at phs.com

Postfix and cucipop were quite happy with this host name.

I've tried updating to mandrake 9 and have run into trouble with the
host name.  Postfix does not like proxy.com as a host name.

I've tried leaving the host name blank at installation and of course the
machine then becomes localhost.localdomain.

Postfix is quite happy with email addresses in the form
xxx at localhost.loacldomain but this does not make much sense to staff
members.  I'd like to move up to mandrake 9  but keep our email
addresses as xxxx at proxy.com

What am I doing wrong?  I would welcome advice.

Peter Hughes

Parkes High School