[Lias] squid problems

ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 18 21:17:01 UTC 2002

>Some snippets from the error log would be most helpful here.  Without
>them I can only guess but I have in the past only run into probelms with
>squid for 2 reasons:
>
>1. disk full
>2. cache corrupt

The other day I encountered an interesting reason why squid won't start:
a log file's size had reached 2^31 bytes, the limit of file size on the
particular filesystem, provoking signal 25. This occurred with the
store.log file due to a client with virus infected guess-which-OS.
Fortunately the reason was logged in cache.log. Since there is no
utility to analyse store.log anyway, you can turn off that log.  For the
others, make sure to rotate the log often enough so it doesn't reach the
maximum size.