[Lias] enabling telnet services

Andrew Dorrell dorrell at research.canon.com.au
Mon Jul 30 16:14:10 UTC 2001

Hi Frank,

Leave the ipchains stuff alone...
start sshd using /etc/init.d/sshd start
(and add it to the run level so that it is started automatically when
booting using chkconfig --level 345 sshd on)

then you should be able to ssh to your machine.  The first time you do
this however it may complain about strict host key checking.  if so,
just for the first time, use the command:

ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no othermachine

(or change the value of the StrictHostKeyChecking option to "ask" in the
global config file /etc/ssh/ssh_config)

Frank van Zanten wrote:

> Running rh7.1, so a little different to what Timo wrote.
>
> running chkconfig --list shows telnet to be on.
> Unable to telnet.
>
> THEN,
> after running
> sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains stop
> when trying to telnet, I get the message "Connection to host lost"
>
> Quoting Timo Trinks <trinks at elvis.informatik.uni-freiburg.de>:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:52:02PM +1000, Frank van Zanten wrote:
> > > I have 2 linux computers, machine1 has a modem attached and can
> > > be dialled into
> > > for maintenance.
> > > machine2 is being set up as a mail server and I need to be able
> > > to access this
> > > remotely. I can presently telnet into machine1. How do I enable telnet
> > on
> > > machine 2?
> >
> > Hi !
> >
> > Usually telnet is handeled by the inetd. To enable it you should add a
> > line like
> >
> > telnet stream tcp nowait  root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
> >
> > in your /etc/inetd.conf. (If you use xinetd syntax is slightly
> > different)
> >
> > Personally I'd suggest to refrain from using telnetd and switch to
> > secure shell instead (more secure due to encryption).
> > Almost every linux distribution ships the OpenBSD sshd.
> >
> > Good luck !
> >
> > Timo
> > --
> > aka t² .oO http://www.trinks.net/cv.php Oo.

> Frank van Zanten
> Computer Coordinator
> Nepean High School

> This mail sent through IMP: mail.nepean-h.schools.nsw.edu.au

Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224
1 Thomas Holt Drive,  North Ryde,  NSW 2113.     Fax:   61 2 9805 2865