[Lias] enabling telnet services

Timo Trinks trinks at freiburg.linux.de
Fri Jul 27 19:04:14 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:52:02PM +1000, Frank van Zanten wrote:
> I have 2 linux computers, machine1 has a modem attached and can
> be dialled into
> for maintenance.
> machine2 is being set up as a mail server and I need to be able
> to access this
> remotely. I can presently telnet into machine1. How do I enable telnet on
> machine 2?

Hi !

Usually telnet is handeled by the inetd. To enable it you should add a
line like

telnet stream tcp nowait  root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

in your /etc/inetd.conf. (If you use xinetd syntax is slightly
different)

Personally I'd suggest to refrain from using telnetd and switch to
secure shell instead (more secure due to encryption).
Almost every linux distribution ships the OpenBSD sshd.

Good luck !

Timo
--
aka t² .oO http://www.trinks.net/cv.php Oo.