[lca-announce] Apply now for the Open Hardware MiniConf to build a Perception Module for machine-learning and a self-driving car

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Thu Jan 2 17:50:16 AEDT 2020

STOP! Please read this notice before wildly clicking the link!

The registration process for the Open Hardware MiniConf is different this
year.

Instead of a direct registration form, we’re using a 2-step process. This
will help us avoid the registration rush that usually has the event sold
out within a few hours.

This will also allow us to do a better job of balancing out the allocation
of different types of tickets, including normal tickets, supporter tickets,
and subsidised tickets, to encourage greater diversity. The result should
be more fair than a simple race to the rego form like in previous years.

So take a deep breath, and relax. It’s not a race this year!

Step 1: Submit the application form using the link below. We’ll collect
applications and then assign spots according to the different types of
tickets.

Step 2: We’ll follow up this coming weekend to let you know if you have a
ticket assigned. If you do, you’ll receive details of how to submit your
payment and receive your ticket.

Please note that the application form includes a question about whether you
identify as belonging to an under-represented group. The reason for this is
to allow us to prioritise tickets for people who would otherwise not be
well represented at the event, to improve the overall diversity.

Of course, this is a very difficult thing to define, and you may be
wondering if this applies to you. We don’t want to be in a position of
making a judgement call, so we’re leaving it up to your discretion.

Because the lead organisers of the OHMC are stereotypical straight white
middle-aged males, we’re very aware that we don’t necessarily know the best
way to encourage and support the needs of under-represented people. We just
want to make this event as inclusive and friendly as possible. If you have
any feedback for us about what we could do better, please let us know.

Thank you! Now on with the general info:

The Open Hardware MiniConf is a 1-day event at LCA, which provides a fun
introduction to electronics and hardware hacking. It starts with an
assembly session, where you will have the opportunity to learn how to
solder while building your own “Perception Module” with a machine-learning
vision system, and attach it to an R/C car chassis to use it as the brains
of a self-driving car.

This project is a further development of the Donkey Car project that was
run last year, but with the control system split into a more general
purpose Perception Module that you can use for many other purposes. The
Perception Module has Lego-compatible holes so that it can be clipped onto
a car chassis or built into your own project.

Putting the module on a car chassis is a fun way to get started, but you
can also use it in totally different applications. Use machine learning to
teach it how to recognise your pets, or sort Lego, or detect weeds in the
garden, or for gesture control.

Places for the assembly session are strictly limited, so registration is
required. Even if you ticked the “Open Hardware MiniConf” box on the LCA
registration form, you still need to apply for the miniconf separately if
you wish to participate in the assembly session.

The cost of the assembly session is AUS$140, which includes all the parts
required for you to build your own Perception Module and fit it onto a
converted R/C car chassis to make a self-driving model car. Some subsidised
places are also available for those who couldn’t otherwise afford to
attend. The actual value of the parts provided is approximately AUS$260,
but thanks to a generous benefactor the cost has been kept low in order to
allow more people to participate.

See http://www.openhardwareconf.org/wiki/OHMC2020 for more information, and
to register for the assembly session go to:

https://forms.gle/2ZQv744b6ny7mXqh8

Thanks!

Jon, Andy and the OHMC2020 team