[lca-announce] linux.conf.au 2021 - Keynote Announcement: Cory Doctorow

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Tue Dec 22 11:24:24 AEDT 2020

Exciting news! We're thrilled to announce that Cory Doctorow will be one
of our keynote speakers at linux.conf.au 2021. The conference is taking
place online, worldwide, from Saturday 23 to Monday 25 January 2021.

Be sure to grab a ticket to hear Cory explain how software freedom is
essential to human freedom, and discuss the urgency of reclaiming our
digital rights in an era of digital monopolies.

## About Cory Doctorow

Cory Doctorow is a science fiction novelist, journalist and technology
activist. He's a special consultant to the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (eff.org), a non-profit civil liberties group that defends
freedom in technology law, policy, standards and treaties. He holds an
honorary doctorate in computer science from the Open University (UK),
where he is a Visiting Professor; he is also a MIT Media Lab Research
Affiliate and a Visiting Professor of Practice at the University of
North Carolina's School of Library and Information Science.

Cory is the award-winning author of Walkaway, Little Brother, and
Information Doesn't Want to Be Free (among many others). His latest book
released earlier this year is Attack Surface, a standalone adult sequel
to Little Brother. His novels have been translated into dozens of
languages.

Cory co-founded the open source peer-to-peer software company OpenCola.
He is an activist in favour of liberalising copyright laws and a
proponent of the Creative Commons organisation, using some of their
licenses for his books.

In his speeches, Cory Doctorow outlines key issues of the digital age -
in particular, the confluence of intellectual property law, futurism and
politics. According to Cory, digital copyright laws have, in general,
not served either creators or users well since the dawn of the internet.

You can follow Cory's blog at Pluralistic.net.

We are looking forward to welcoming Cory to linux.conf.au 2021.

## About linux.conf.au

Australasia's grassroots Free and Open Source technologies conference,
linux.conf.au, will be held online, worldwide, from Saturday 23 to
Monday 25 January 2021. Running since 1999, linux.conf.au is the largest
linux and open source conference in the Asia-Pacific region.
The conference provides deeply technical presentations from industry
leaders and experts on a wide array of subjects relating to open source
projects, data and open government and community engagement.

## How to get tickets?

Jump onto linux.conf.au to grab your ticket via your dashboard
(https://linux.conf.au/dashboard/).

If you need help convincing your employer to let you attend
linux.conf.au 2021, we have a page to assist.
Check out our why should your employees attend
(https://linux.conf.au/attend/why-should-employees-attend/) page, and
share it with your employer.

## Have you received your SwagBadge yet?

Our awesome Open Hardware team have been building the LCA2021 SwagBadge
(https://linux.conf.au/attend/swag-badge/) for the past few months. They
reached an exciting milestone this week, starting to send out badges to
delegates!

We wanted to send a very special shout out to our SwagBadge team: Jon
Oxer, Andy Gelme, Nicola Nye, John Spencer and Andrew Nielsen. Without
them all those parcels of goodies wouldn't have made it to our
attendees. There are still some badges left, so if you're in Australia
make sure you grab a ticket today and choose to get a SwagBadge!

---
Read this online at
https://lca2021.linux.org.au/news/keynote-cory-doctorow/