[lca-announce] Call For Papers: LCA 2013 Developer Automation and Continuous, Integration miniconf, closes 13th Jan.

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Thu Dec 20 12:28:11 EST 2012

This year at LCA I am running a miniconf
(https://lca2013.linux.org.au/schedule/30102/view_talk?day=monday)
focused on automation to make developers lives easier, whether that be
code review, continuous integration services or just getting a working
development environment.

We need you! Come along and present on how your project has made commits
to trunk faster, better or simpler. What myths about The Right Way you
have debunked, what tools did you use to get great outcomes for your
project.

Please mail abstracts to me, mordred at inaugust.com. If you want to make
sure I don't miss it - plopping a [ci-miniconf] in the subject won't hurt.

"""The state of the art of automated testing of code as we develop it
is marching forward at a break neck pace. A few years ago the idea
that tests would continually be run against your code so that you
would know that when it was ready to release was revolutionary. Today,
with advances in tooling and the emergence of the cloud, it's old news
and now we're testing things before they even get to trunk in the
first place. Of course, there are trade offs that must be made in
development process depending on how strict the controls are, and
disagreements about the best ways to maximize both developer
productivity as well as code quality. Many of these concerns can be
ameliorated by the use of automation systems - but then the complexity
of the automation itself becomes a full time project.

The Developer Automation mini-conf will focus on the current state of
the art of developer tooling and testing automation in the Open Source
world. From CI tools like Jenkins or buildbot, to build event triggers
like zuul or tarmac, to code review systems such as gerrit or
Launchpad. Heck - if you've made something with autoconf better or have
figured out a way to make developers more productive by automating the
combing of their long bushy bears, we want to hear about it. Let's get
together and show each other how we're running our projects."""

-Monty