[lca-announce] Our third keynote

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Fri Dec 14 14:31:52 EST 2012

(Sorry, it seems we dropped the ball on this one and didn't send this
out when we thought we had. My apologies.)

linux.conf.au, Australia’s premier open source conference, have
announced their third keynote speaker for 2013. Bdale Garbee is best
known for his pioneering work with Debian, and for open source
community-building efforts with the Linux Foundation, Freedombox, and
Software in the Public Interest (SPI). He is a regular presence at
linux.conf.au, wowing many recent conference-goers with his rocketry
exploits and other hobby activities turned into open source projects.

Bdale made his first contribution to free software in 1979, and has
extensive experience in hardware design, Unix internals and embedded
systems. He recently retired from long service as HP's Chief
Technologist for Open Source and Linux, and now serves as President of
Software in the Public Interest, and on the boards of directors of the
Linux Foundation and the Freedombox Foundation. In 2008, Bdale became
the first individual recipient of a Lutece d'Or award from the
Federation Nationale de l'Industrie du Logiciel Libre in France.

The keynote speech, titled "The Future of the Linux Desktop", is
inspired by Bdale's observation that free software has been less
successful in the traditional desktop and notebook markets than in many
other contexts. After a long period of optimism, it is becoming less and
less clear when "the year of the Linux desktop" might happen, if ever!
Bdale will discuss how and why he thinks we ended up in this situation,
and offer thoughts on how the Linux desktop software community might
refocus on building a compelling Linux desktop environment.

Michael

--
Michael Still
Director linux.conf.au 2013

Canberra 28 January 2013 to 2 February 2013