[lca-announce] Linux.conf.au 2003 - Registrations open

lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au
Wed Oct 2 01:51:27 UTC 2002

Linux . Conf . Au

MEDIA STATEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Linux.Conf.Au 2003 announces:
	Registrations now open

Perth, Western Australia (October 2, 2002) - Linux.Conf.Au 2003 is
pleased to announce that registrations for this year's conference
are now open. People from anywhere in the world are invited to attend.

Registration has three main flavours:

	* Professional
	* Hobbyist
	* Concession

Professional registrations are for people who are being sent along by their
company or organisation. Hobbyist registrations are for people who are sending
themselves, whilst Concession registrations are for Students, the unemployed,
pensioners, with valid supporting evidence (e.g., current student card).

A professional registration gets you access to all events, including the
Conference Dinner, and the Professional Networking Session where you get to
meet with and talk to all speakers. Furthermore, your organisation's name will
be listed as having attended. Professional registration costs AUD$550.

You've worked hard but you're not being sent - you are hitching.  A
hobbyist registration is AUD$250, while a Concession registration is AUD$99
(we're desparately trying to keep this under AUD$100 for you!). Hobbyists and
Concession are able to include the conference dinner as an option on
registration. The cost is an additional AUD$50.

If you register with a Concession you will be required to provide proof of
eligibility on the first day of the conference.

Accomodation is available on The University of Western Australia campus at
the University's own college accomodation, Currie Hall. Our registration
form has an option for you to notify Currie Hall of your intended dates
of arrival and departure if you wish to take this up, otherwise you are
free to leave these fields blank and find your own accomodation in Perth.
Currie Hall is charging AUD$45 per night for a single room (with pedestal
fan), including breakfast; all transactions with them are conducted
separately to the conference.

Early registrations for Linux.Conf.Au help us to determine how much money we
have to fly in interesting speakers from around the world. As an incentive
to register early, we're offering a copy of 'Just For Fun', by Linus
Torvalds, to one of the first 100 people registered, thanks to
Boffins booksellers.

Linux.Conf.Au is being supported by CommSecure (http://www.commsecure.com.au/)
for its credit card processing; we thank them for offering their services to
us.  CommSecure provides a very safe way for you to pay for your registration.
We recommend using credit cards to pay for this, as you will recieve a Tax
Invoice / Receipt within minutes of the transaction being confirmed and
processed.

Alternate methods of payment may be arranged by contacting the organisers.
We will accept Australian personal cheques and international money orders,
but there will be some delay in processing these. If you can use a credit
card it will be much easier for us!

Please note that Linux.Conf.Au is a non-profit conference. All organisers
are volunteers from the Linux community. Any money charged goes directly
into making this, and future, conferences a success. We appreciate your
support and hope you will join us for Linux.Conf.Au 2003.

Linux.Conf.Au 2003 is sponsored by:
	IBM - The Penguin Sponsor (Principal Sponsor)
	Functional Software - Major Sponsor
	The University of Western Australia - Venue Sponsor
	OSDN - Online Media Sponsor
	CommSecure - Credit Card Broking Sponsor
	Sun Microsystems - Regional Delegate Sponsor

* About Perth Linux Users' Group Inc.
-------------------------------------

PLUG is a a non-profit association for the Linux and Open Source community and
aims to promote and assist this community through fortnightly seminars and
workshops providing the opportunity to connect face-to-face with industry
speakers and other Linux users. In addition to the free email discussion list,
PLUG provides news, technical support, resources and forums on the web site
(http://www.plug.linux.org.au).

* About Linux.Conf.Au
---------------------

Linux.Conf.Au is a national 'roaming' conference under the auspices of Linux
Australia Inc (http://www.linux.org.au/). Its original incarnation was as
the "Conference of Australian Linux Users" (CALU), held in Melbourne at
Monash University in 1999.

In January 2001 it was renamed to "Linux.Conf.Au", and held in Sydney at the
University of New South Wales under the direction of the Sydney Linux User
Group (SLUG). In February 2002 it was held in Brisbane at the University
of Queensland under the direction of the Home Unix Machine Brisbane User
Group (HUMBUG).

Linux.Conf.Au has a very high standing in the international community for
being a very technically focused, yet relaxed conference schedule. All
presenters are selected from the community are of the highest calibre.

MEDIA RELEASE CONTACTS:
Perth Linux Users' Group Inc
James Bromberger
+61 417 772 286 (GMT +0800)