[lca-announce] Linux.Conf.Au: Speakers Announced

lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au lca-announce-admin at lists.linux.org.au
Tue Nov 19 14:14:26 UTC 2002

Linux . Conf . Au

MEDIA STATEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Perth, Western Australia (November 19th, 2002) - A bumper update from
Linux.Conf.Au this time with lots happening.  We are just 9 weeks away
from _the_ major Linux event in south-east Asia for 2003:

* Conference Sponsorship Update
* Sun R.D.P. Update
* Register to be in the running for 'Just For Fun'
* Conference Speakers Announced

* Conference Sponsorship Update
-------------------------------

We're delighted to announce Computer Associates have confirmed they will
be a major sponsor for Linux.Conf.Au 2003, joining R.D.P. sponsor Sun,
major sponsor Functional Software and Penguin Sponsor IBM.  Computer
Associates began delivering management solutions for Linux in April 1999,
and is a leading source for Linux-based e-business management solutions
for the enterprise.

All our sponsors will have a display area at the conference, so watch out
for what they've got to show you!

Many thanks to our sponsors and supporters for the help so far.

* Sun Regional Delegate Program Update

The Sun Regional Delegate Program is running, with one person to be
selected from every major state and territory of Australia to attend
Linux.Conf.Au 2003 for free! This covers flights from your local
major airport, accomodation at Currie Hall, and a Professional
Registration pass, all thanks to Sun Microsystems Australia.

To find out what is happening in your state, check the R.D.P. Web page
on the confernece Web site and contact your local Linux User Group.
The program will end on November 30th, and winners will be announced
in early December.

* Register for Linux.Conf.Au
----------------------------

Registrations are open for the conference, and as we announced, one of
the first 100 paid delegates will win a copy of Linus Torvalds' book
"Just For Fun". Well, we've just rolled over that number, and the winner
of the book, chosen at random, is....

	Christopher Quinn from Western Australia

Congratulations from both LCA and Boffins Bookstores! Your copy is on
its way to you.

Since that was so much fun, we're going to do it once again. Someone from the
next 100 paid delegates will also win a copy of Linus' book. Don't
delay... register today!

Places are limited, so avoid disappointment. Take a look at the list
of Australian and international speakers and you'll aggree that this
is one event not to miss.

* Speakers Announced
--------------------

We were sent Beer, Pizza (thanks Tridge!) and lots of money. But none of
these things influenced the Call for Papers in any way. Crikey we had a
lot of truly awesome submissions. The cream of the crop were:

	* H. Peter Anvin
	* Jason Bainbridge
	* Jeff "Hemos" Bates
	* Geoffrey D. Bennett
	* Neil Brown
	* Adrian Chadd
	* Alan Cox
	* Thomas Dreibholz
	* Bdale Garbee
	* David Glance
	* Telsa Gwynne
	* Brad Hards
	* James Henstridge
	* Philip Hart
	* Simon "Horms" Horman
	* Jeremy Kerr
	* Greg KH
	* Suresh Kodati
	* Rasmus Lerdorf
	* Jeremy Malcolm
	* Patrick Mochel
	* Conrad Parker
	* Wayne Piekarski
	* Martin Pool
	* Alexander Reeder
	* Paul "Rusty" Russell
	* Martin Schwenke
	* Gavin Sherry
	* Malcolm Tredinnick
	* Andrew Tridgell
	* Jeff Waugh
	* Rhys Weatherley
	* Matthew Wilcox

The topics these people will present range from complex kernel locking
structures through IPv6 networking, ending up at PHP.

Further details about these speakers and the presentation titles can
be found on the conference web site: http://www.linux.conf.au/speakers.html

We'd like to thank our Call for Papers review committee for reading through
the mounds of submissions we were sent:

	* James Henstridge
	* Dr. Chris MacDonald
	* Martin Pool
	* Paul "Rusty" Russell
	* Anthony Towns
	* Tony Breeds Taurima

* About Perth Linux Users' Group Inc.
-------------------------------------

PLUG is a non-profit association for the Linux and Open Source community and
aims to promote and assist this community through fortnightly seminars and
workshops providing the opportunity to connect face-to-face with industry
speakers and other Linux users. In addition to the free email discussion list,
PLUG provides news, technical support, resources and forums on the web site
(http://www.plug.linux.org.au).

* About Linux.conf.au
---------------------

Linux.conf.au is a national 'roaming' conference under the auspices of Linux
Australia Inc (http://www.linux.org.au/). Its original incarnation was under
the name "Conference of Australian Linux Users" (CALU), held in Melbourne at
Monash University in 1999. In January 2001 it was renamed to "Linux.conf.au",
and held in Sydney at the University of New South Wales under the direction of
the Sydney Linux User Group (SLUG). In February 2002 it was held in Brisbane
at the University of Queensland under the direction of the Home Unix Machine
Brisbane User Group (HUMBUG).

LCA has a very high standing in the international community for having a very
technically focused, yet relaxed conference schedule. All presenters are
selected from the community are of the highest calibre.

* About Linux
-------------

Linux is a core part of a modern multi-user computer operating system
developed by a world-wide network of enthusiasts and professionals, and is
available for free under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
This license is special in that it specifically permits the end user access to
the underlying source code that creates the Linux kernel, and permits them
rights to modify it and redistribute it. The GPL is available from the Free
Software Foundation (http://www.fsf.org). It is this model of license that
leads to a "peer review" model of software development, since no part of the
program remains undisclosed to any interested party.

Many organisations including IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Dell Computer and Sun
Microsystems are adopting Linux kernel based operating systems for a variety of
tasks, from network servers to personal desktop machines and palm-sized
devices.

The Linux kernel, in combination with a large selection of "user space" tools
and utility programs are combined to create complete computer operating
systems, for example, Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, and MandrakeSoft.

As well as operating on commodity Intel based personal computers, Linux also
runs on a number of other types of computers, such as large mainframes and
commercial network servers, down to pocket organisers and wrist watches.

More information on Linux is available from http://www.linux.com/.

Linux(R) is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
Other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo are trademarks or registered
trademarks in the United States and in other countries.

IBM is a registered trade mark of International Business Machines.

Computer Associates is a trade mark of Computer Associates.

MEDIA RELEASE CONTACTS:
Perth Linux Users' Group Inc
James Bromberger
+61 417 772 286 (GMT +0800)