[Grants] Grant Request: Funding for Code of Conduct Incident Response Training

Katie McLaughlin katie at glasnt.com
Thu May 3 08:33:36 AEST 2018

## Aim

This funding request will fund one remote training session for Code of
Conduct Incident Response from Otter Technologies for up to 10 members of
the organising teams from under the umbrella of Linux Australia events.

## Rationale

Linux Australia requests that event subcommittees have a Code of Conduct
for their event.

This is a good first step to ensure a safe and inclusive conference for
attendees.

In the event that incidents occur at a conference, there needs to be
knowledge on the ground from members of an Incident Response Team (aka
Conduct Team) in the basics of how to handle an incident: attendee care,
resolution practices, liability, reporting process, anonymity processes,
aftercare.

Conduct teams have been present at PyCon AU 2016, PyCon AU 2017,
linux.conf.au 2017 and linux.conf.au 2018. However, members of this teams,
to the best of my knowledge, have never undertaken formal training for this
role

By having this training undertaken by members of the community of various
Linux Australia conferences, we can seed the knowledge of how to take the
next step in ensuring active attendee safety at Linux Australia events.

Note: this training is one of two training session offered. A “Train the
Trainers” session is is a separate course, quote and additional grant
request pending, which would allow attendees of both sessions to then have
the knowledge to train their own Conduct teams. This would allow for a
larger pool of trained persons to attend more events and be a part of more
Conduct teams.

## Success

Attendees undertaking training will be able to take the skills learnt and
CC-BY materials provided and use them to ensure their own events have
trained Incident Response members who can serve on Conduct teams in order
to ensure attendee safety.

Attendees have also been chosen as they are “serial conference attendees”,
so their skills can be of service across a number of events for years to
come.

## Costs Breakdown

The training is as follows:

Name: Code of Conduct Incident Response
Provider: Otter Technologies
https://otter.technology/code-of-conduct-training/

Cost:* $3,500 USD* for up to 10 attendees in one remote session

*Note: the training can have up to 14 attendees, but 8 - 10 is the normal
size of groups. Given this is a specific request by specific people, we are
limiting the attendees to 10*

## Training details:

The training provided comprises of a 3 - 4 hour session, split across group
and pair activities, relating to incident response overviews, pair
role-play of reporting and receiving an incident report, and take-home
materials including Incident Response forms (CC licensed)

Trainer: Sage Sharp

## Testimonial

Sam Kimbrel, North Bay Python Organiser, PyCon AU 2016 Speaker

> Sage’s organizer training clearly outlined the core responsibilities an
event team
> has towards its attendees, staff, speakers, and volunteers, and offered
concrete
> steps to handle these responsibilities in a safe, sustainable fashion.
There are myriad
> pitfalls in actually implementing a strong code of conduct and we felt
much more
> confident in our ability to avoid as many as we could after the training.

## Attendees

This grant request allows for one remote training session for up to ten
people. The following eight people are requesting these funds. There is
still room for two more attendees, should anyone else be interested in
attending

* Katie McLaughlin, PyCon AU 2018 Chair
* Katie Bell, PyCon AU 2018 Co-Chair
* Russell Keith-Magee, PyCon AU 2018 Treasurer
* Jack Skinner, PyCon AU 2018 Volunteer Coordinator
* Lilly Ryan, PyCon AU 2018 Paper’s Chair
* James Polley, linux.conf.au 2018 Co-Chair, Linux Australia Board Member
2018
* Donna Benjamin, Drupal South, Rusty Wrench Award 2013
* Craige McWhirter, linux.conf.au 2017 Co-Chair

Should only these eight attend, the grant would be $3,500USD / 8 ~= AUD$600
per attendee.

An additional two attendees will bring that number down to ~AUD$470 per
attendee

## Contact

Katie McLaughlin will be the point of contact for this grant request, and
is willing to provide a  post-training report to Council.

Katie was a member of the PyCon AU 2016 and linux.conf.au 2017 Conduct
Teams, and is the Chair for PyCon AU 2018, 2019