[Grants] Australian Internet Community Planning - Proposal for Linux Australia support

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Mon Jul 2 16:16:16 AEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Lyndsey Jackson wrote:
> Dear Linux Grants team and Council Members,
>
> Please accept this attached email as a grant request to support
> participation in an uncoming Australian Internet Community working group
> forum. I'll post the text below for ease of reading and sharing, and a
> nicely formatted pdf is attached.
> :

Thanks for this submission.  Recent and ongoing events have clearly
demonstrated the need for an effective and balanced voice to advocate for
the needs of internet users in Australia.

I am interested to know how the effectiveness of the proposed Australian
Internet Community (AIC) will be guaranteed.  Over recent times there have
been a number of examples where detrimental policies relating to the
internet have been enacted despite significant valid concerns being raised
publicly by experts in the field.  Is there any existing framework which AIC
will be able to plug into, or will AIC have to develop those connections
from scratch?

Clearly it's early days for AIC, but I was wondering whether there were any
ideas as to what sort of a group AIC is intended to be?  Will it be actively
involved in policy development so as to give an effective voice to the
internet users of this country, or will it be limited to a reactionary role?

Regards
  jonathan