[Grants] New Zealand Open Source Society Grant Request

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Thu Aug 2 09:40:54 AEST 2018

Hi Steven

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 08:16:16AM +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> NZOSS Mission Statement - The NZOSS exists to "share the freedom of open
> source software, open standards, and open information for the benefit of
> New Zealand."
> :
> In order to grow we need to re-invest in our infrastructure and grow the
> awareness of the society. The 2015 linux.conf.au helped raise awareness of
> Open Source technologies and capabilities and we can't afford to loose
> momentum. With the return of linux.conf.au in 2019 to NZ we've got a
> perfect opportunity to expand the awareness of Open Source, Open Hardware,
> Open Govt and Open Data.
>
> Our short term plan is to improve our membership management system while
> continuing to support out Open Source awareness and outreach.
>
> NZOSS have monthly council meetings and the minutes/actions can be made
> available to the Linux Australia Council.
>
> Request is for the sum of NZD $5000 to enhance our infrastructure to
> increase membership growth and sustainability whilst continuing our current
> local advocacy.

Could you clarify what infrastructure you are planning to enhance in the
event the grant application is successful?  Is it solely the membership
management system you mentioned earlier, or are other items conceptually
included as well?  Has any preliminary planning been done, and if so, are
you able to outline where you think things might head if the grant were
successful?  For example, do you have a specific membership system in mind?

On the subject of the membership management system, I note that LA is in the
process of reviewing and modernising its membership management system.  Has
NZOSS spoken to LA about possibly sharing the outcome of this process?  The
aims of the two organisations are quite similar, so it seems plausible that
a membership system which suited LA would at least form a solid base for
NZOSS as well.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting the sharing of a single membership
management system instance since the two organisations are completely
separate entities.

Having both organisations use the same software (with the necessary local
customisations) would possibly provide a number of benefits: more people in
the region being familiar with the system, the opportunity to share
maintenance costs of the basic platform, and so on.

Regards
  jonathan