[Debian-au] Australian timezone (australasia) update for this weekend

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar anibal at computer.org
Wed Mar 22 23:22:37 UTC 2006

Hello,

The Australian timezone change is a couple of days away. If you are
running servers depending on acurrate time, you will need to check
or update them.

If you are running sid (unstable) or etch (testing), to update your
Australian timezone, just run 'apt-get update; apt-get install
libc6'.

For stable (sarge) and oldstable (woody) you may have to update
your system mannually.

To check/change your timezone, use tzconfig. In my case, tzconfig
tells me that my timezone is Australia/Melbourne.

To check if your timezone change will happen on either "Sun Mar 26"
or "Sun Apr  2", run 'zdump -v Australia/Melbourne | grep 2006'.
Replace Australia/Melbourne with your own timezone.

If your timezone change will happen on "Sun Apr  2", you're safe.

If your timezone change will happen on "Sun Mar 26", you may want
to update the Australian timezone.

If you cannot update libc6, you could update the Australian timezone
mannually, as described in the following lines.

1. Download the timezone (australasia) file. It includes the
   Australia, Indian and Pacific timezone information.

   wget -nH -N http://people.debian.org/~anibal/timezone/australasia

   If you don't want to use my copy of the australasia file,
   download http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.4.tar.bz2 (size
   is 15,202,445) and extract glibc-2.4/timezone/australasia.

   Together with my copy of the australasia file, there are files
   with the md5 checksum and my gpg signature of the australasia
   file.

2. Backup you zoneinfo directory.

   tar cf - /usr/share/zoneinfo | bzip2 -9 - > zoneinfo.tar.bz2

3. As root, run:

   zic australasia

4. Check your timezone change.

   zdump -v Australia/Melbourne | grep 2006

   It should show "Sun Apr  2".

Regards,

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
--