[Debian-au] Re:Re 1st install probs

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 22 13:30:38 UTC 2004

Hi all,
thanks for the help so far.
Finally after much trial and error finally copied
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from Knoppix to new install.
Opened up Gnome OK, but no mouse(ps2).
Re-installed with a serial mouse, copied file over
and works, but now nothing that appeared unpacking will work.
Does not show anything in /mnt at all

fstab
/dev/hda5                 /              ext2      errors=remount -ro
  0           1
/dev/hda6              none          swap          sw
        0           0
/dev/proc            /proc            proc       default
        0           0
/dev.fd0              /floppy          auto       user,no auto
    0            0
/dev/cdrom         /cdrom       iso 9660   ro,user,no auto           0
         0

I have a windows drive (hda1) which does not show, and a second cdrom drive
The drives all show with Knoppix
Will it work if I copy the fstab file from Knoppix over, and if so is
there anything else
needing to be inserted/changed?
Gimp, Mozilla showed when being unpacked, and are not in package list to
install,
show as installed, but will not open. kppp will not open, shows in list
as modem dial
up tool, but gives error when opened KDEinit could not launch "kppp"
Could not find "kppp"executable. (Tried from programme list, "run"
command and from command line)

Am I missing something in the install process, have done it a few times,
and don't want it to beat me. I have a copy of Deb 3.0r.3 coming soon
,(this one Deb 3.0r.2)
 would this be likely to save a lot of changes, not at all familiar with
command line, although have learnt
quite a bit these last few days,

Thanks in advance, take care, and have a safe and peaceful Christmas
Winton