[Debian-au] compiling for old glibc

Tim Connors tconnors at astro.swin.edu.au
Tue May 20 14:42:19 UTC 2003

Skip the rant if you want :)

At uni, we have a rather old SuSE system. As opposed to any sane OS, where
you can happily apt-get upgrade all you want to upgrade old packages[1],
it seems I am at the whim of sysadmins who can't/don't want to upgrade any
pacakages whatsoever, escpecially ones that have a few dependencies,
because of the stupidness of SuSE (I mean, what real OS requires to to
reinstall a newer version of the distribution, to get things up-to-date on
a large scale[2]).

/Rant (now the real question)

So I need to compile mogrify from the imagemagick package. Far too many
dependencies on the SuSE system, so lets say I compile it on my debian
laptop. Of course, it won't run on the SuSE system, because debians glibc
is 2.3, and SuSE is expecting either 2.2 or 2.0 (depending on which horid
system I log onto). I can copy all the lib*'s over to my ~/lib directory
on the SuSE system, but I don't know how to deal with glibc. Is there a
way of telling the compiler at compile time to only require glibc2.2?

Yeah, I know, my unknowledgement of dynamic libraries is coming out at
this point :)

[1] I came late to the gig - my laptop was installed off 2.2-r2, and has
only been continually upgraded since then without problems.
[2] It might just be the dysadmins, but I don't blame them for not wanting
to spend too much time infront of a SuSE root console, unless it is to
type 'rm -rf /'

I'm sorry. The number you have reached is imaginary. Please rotate your
phone 90 degrees and try again.