[Debian-au] Could we have a talk on setting up a chroot ?

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Sun May 11 06:35:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:40:20PM +1000, David Creelman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think someone asked (once, sometime) what content we would like to
> have on some of the monthly DebSIG talks that are held down at the pub
> on Wednesday evenings in Sydney.
>
> Would someone be able to do a talk on setting up a chroot ? I know there
> are probably web pages and howtos out there, but it would be useful to
> hear about pitfalls and positives from someone who knows what they're
> doing and be able to ask some questions.

Since one has answered, I can at least give you a pointer to a web page:
http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html.

> >From what I understand, running a chroot environment is a very useful
> way of testing out new debs and running config tests, but I've never set
> one up (and don't know what's involved).

Absolutely.  If you're leaning towards building packages for other
versions of Debian (or even for your current version) in a chroot, have
a look at pbuilder; it automates the whole process, and will tell you
quite bluntly if you've messed up your build dependencies :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir at ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?