[Debian-au] Sydney Debian SIG wrap-up

Craige McWhirter Craige.McWhirter at BabcockBrown.com
Tue May 29 05:52:36 UTC 2001

Call me slow but I only recently found out about this list and was
advised people here might be interested in this. Below are the details
of the innaugural Debian SIG meeting.

All details are still current, especially we're still looking for a talk
volunteers ;)

If deemed appropriate I'll post further Debian SIG to this list as well.

----- Forwarded message from Craige McWhirter <craigem at babcockbrown.com> -----

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:45:42 +1000
From: Craige McWhirter <craigem at babcockbrown.com>
To: SLUG <slug at slug.org.au>
Cc: SLUG Committee <committee at slug.org.au>
Subject: Debian SIG wrap-up

The Debian SIG had it's innaugural meeting last night which was attended
by a solid turn out of 16 people. With the exception of the bad taste
left by one attendees car being broken into (and 3 attendees bags
stolen) the meeting was an enjoyable casual affair, with excellent food,
and pleasant facilities. Once the meeting was completed, about
8:30-9ish, most poeple hung around either playing pool or fiddling with
laptops until about midnight.

At the meeting it was decided that the Debian SIG meetings would take
the following format:

- Meetings held the second Wendesday of each month
- Each meeting should a have talk/presentation/focus
- An 18:30 "doors open" for ordering food or pre-meeting socials
- a 19:00 start for the talk/presentation/focus
- a 20:00 close of formalities, after which we can continue using the
room until the pub closes.
- GPG key signing will be available at each meeting.

We've had some requested topics for future meetings (below) and I'd like
to get any further suggestions people may have, as well as having
volunteers for talks/presentations on Debian related topics.

- Debian Orientation for those migrating from other distributions
- Getting invlolved in Debian project (package maintenance/ports etc)
- Taking Debian on the road (road warriors focus/talk)

Thanks to those who came for a great night.

----- End forwarded message -----

      Craige.