[Confweb-dev] LCA2021 VM

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Oct 6 12:04:16 AEDT 2020

Hi Joel

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, the new VM should be ready
for you to boot. If you can, please try to avoid LVM when partitioning
the disks, we need a different snapshot type on the ZFS partitions to
handle this configuration, and it's too easy to end up with a replicated
VM that turns out to be unbootable.

regards

On 30/9/20 11:07 pm, Joel Addison wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Yes tomorrow is fine.
>
> Long term we don’t intend to have a VM per LCA. We will have a long lived VM that will host the various microservices, with each year’s services being deployed into this stack and past years rotating out and replaced with a static archive.
>
> The main reason for wanting a new VM at the moment is so we can get everything setup on this one, then move the site that is being hosted on the GC2020 VM across, without fear of breaking something in the meantime. Once this is complete we should be right to shutdown the GC2020 VM.
>
> We would also like to talk to you about options for redundancy for the services, but this can come later.
>
> Thanks,
> Joel
>
>> On 30 Sep 2020, at 9:09 pm, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joel
>>
>> I can take care of this tomorrow if that's ok?
>>
>> For our own planning, is the long term intent to have a VM per LCA
>> and/or Pycon-au 'year', or will the microservices stack eventually
>> compact down to single machine in the long-term?
>>
>> regards
>>
>>> On 30/9/20 8:04 pm, Joel Addison wrote:
>>> Hi Admin Team,
>>>
>>> Could you please create a new VM in Proxmox for us to use for LCA2021.
>>> The specs for this can be the same as the existing GC2020 VM - 8GB
>>> RAM, 4 CPU, 100GB Disk. Please make this accessible to Joel Addison,
>>> Clinton Roy and Ben Stevens in Proxmox. We only need one external IPv4
>>> address for this VM please.
>>>
>>> Could you also please add an Ubuntu 20.04 ISO to the list of choices
>>> - http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/releases/20.04.1/ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joel