[Computerbank] Questions - Was:Missing posts

Dale Long dalel at picknowl.com.au
Wed Dec 11 09:52:01 UTC 2002

Don Cameron wrote:
> The role of volunteer administrators is very much that of nurturing
> volunteers and fostering membership, but it is also a role that involves
> managing organisational objectives in a manner that ensures the objectives
> are not adversely impacted by the actions of volunteers. Not everyone is
> suited to be a volunteer within a diverse organisation... just wanting to
> help is not enough... individuals also have to commit to the organisational
> ethos and culture if they truly want to offer value and be subsequently
> deemed as a 'valuable contributor'. Volunteers will often find a particular
> organisations culture not to their liking, which is of course perfectly
> OK... there are lots of organisations looking for volunteers.

My light experience with the CAIVic and CAISA exchanges has only shown
me conflict. I do not want to commit to that kind of culture. And noone
should have to.

I am sure there are better things under the surface. It just amazes me
that things have appeared other than that.

I am not pointing fingers and anyone or any group in particular. This is
a general concern.

Dale.