[Computerbank] Re: Fwd: Questions regarding constitution

Chris Guiver guiverc at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 17:00:42 UTC 2001

Howdy all

I'm not part of the discussion - but I do see some sense in a fee.. for
reasons listed.

>Reasons for charging a fee include:
>1. Filter people who really want one as opposed to those who simple get
>   it because its there and free.
>2. Reduce the likely hood of profiteering where individuals might
>   immediately resell the hardware.
>The fees need not be excessive and in some cases microcredit schemes may
>exists to enable people to access your project.

I don't like the idea of fee's being excessive - maybe not even fixed; maybe
this was outlined (sliding scale!?; means tested - made by someone who tries
to assess a fair fee - the down side is more work though !)...

Another advantage with a fee - for some anyway - is that it may help
ownsership - ie. they paid money for it - they may therefore try harder to
make it work (ie. get the computer going, learning more) rather than giving
in easily - too hard basket....

-- My thinking

For me, who's familiar with computers - I still found the machine hard to
use; and frustrating when ABIWORD kept crashing whenever I put it to real
use... Made me want to re-load OS many times so I could put a word processor
that worked on it (ie. Word Perfect 5.1!! & DOS); I wonder how many other
machines this occurs to (maybe with another "friend" installing another
more-familiar OS)...

But I think a small fee make help people put more effort in trying to make
it work before they "give in". After all if it cost them nothing to get,
it's generally I feel easier to throw it away (too hard; it cost nothing, I
gained nothing - you get what you paid for...)

Sorry if I intruded, hopefully comment of interest; a thought useful..

Chris
---