[Cbsupport] Newbies: Using your Computer to look for jobs

Shaun Branden shaun at pcuse.com
Sat Jul 26 07:42:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 03:06:58AM +1000, Averydebrouwer wrote:
> I was asked for this from someone else I thought the answer may be
> useful for CBS Newbies
> One of the things was using pdf
>
> Hi Gang
> I have been working for several months assisting my partner to find work
> and I am doing it myself now
> Most jobs are through agencies, the usual mode is to present it in
> MSWord.doc

You will probably have better luck being pro-active, rather than waiting
to respond to ads.

> Sorry thats what most people want.  so using OpenOffice.org (OOo) is the
> best to save it as that format, but the formating does change slightly,
> Go to a Library and bring it up on floppy disk under MSWord and reformat
> and save, this will make it look more professional and use the disk for
> attachments not the Computer, Unfortunately the formatting does change
> slightly between both it ends up looking a bit messy.  The point is to
> get a job not to promote Linux do that when you have the job!
>
> Many people don't like pdf's that includes Linux users I don't mind them
> But I 've never heard of it being done that way
>
> Many business having Microsoft live in fear of Viruses So many are not
> liking attachments, if they have too much pictures/graphics they will
> probably be filtered out and never be read

How do you send a .doc resume to an employer that is not an attachment ?

> A better Option and to get any creativity as graphic make your resume
> more interesting
> is to use a html editor like OOo and cut and paste it to send it.  this
> way there are no attachments.  espically with your cover letter

Lost me a bit here. Are you suggesting sending a html email with
pictures. If you sent that to me, I would only see the text. A html
email is likely to be dropped by spamassassin anyway.

Personally, I send my resume as a html attachment and if they can't work
out how to open it I look elsewhere.

Shaun
--
Shaun Branden; email: shaun at pcuse.com; icq: 10469563
Computerbank South Australia: sa.computerbank.org.au