[Cbsupport] sorting outgoing mail in KMail

John Habermann j_habermann at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 20 23:43:05 UTC 2002

Hi Vic

Good to see that you got it working. I have the flash pluging working in
Netscape in my KDE so I suspect that it is probably not KDE but some issue
with how the plugin has been installed.

Kmail is actually a really good email client and is my main email client. I
have filters set up for my incoming mail but hadn't worried about sorting out
my outgoing mail so thanks for giving me the idea.

If you want to filter your outgoing mail in kmail here is how you do it.

1. First create a folder called (this is just an example you can call it
whatever you want also don't include the quotes) " Messages_to "
Steps
1. Left click on "Folder" in the Menus at the top of the KDE Mail Client
window.
2. Select "Create" and left click on it.
3. In the "Create Folder" window that appears delete "unnamed" from the
"Name" box and enter " Messages_to " in the box.
4.Make sure that "Top Level" is showing in the "Belongs To" button.
5. Click on the "OK" button and the window should close.

Next create the folders that you want your outgoing mail to be sorted into.
6. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
7. Left click on the "Belongs To" button which should show "Top Level" by
default.
8. In the drop down menu that appears select "Messages_to"
9. In the "Name" box delete "unnamed" and enter " Computerbank "
(this is the folder were all the mail that you send to computerbank will be
stored).
10. Left click on "OK"

Now to create the filters that will sort your out going mail into the folders
that you want.
11. Click on "sent-mail" in the Folders Column.
12. Left click on a message that you want to filter in this example it will
be on that was posted to the computerbank list.
13. Left click on "Message" in the menu bar at the top of the KDE Mail Client
Window.
14. In the dropdown window that opens drag the mouse cursor down to "Create
Filter" and then select "Filter on To" from the little side menu and left
click.
15. The "Filter Rules" Window will then open.
16. Check that the message address that you want to filter is selected in the
"Available Filters" Column.
17. Check the "Filter Criteria" to see that "Match all  of the following" is
selected and that the third line of the Filter Criteria shows Ist box "To"
Second box "contains" Third box "computerbank at lists.linux.org.au".
18. In the "Filter Actions" section select "move to folder" and
"Computerbank" (or whatever the folder is that you have created to store the
mail that you have sent to computerbank).
19. In the "Advanced Options" section select "outgoing messages".
20. Click on "Ok"

You have now created a filter that will store any outgoing messages that you
send to computerbank in the Computerbank subfolder of the Messages_to folder.
Follow the steps above to create other folders and filters for any other
outgoing mail that you wish to sort and store in different folders.

Hope this improves your perception of Kmail Vic. When you get the hang of it
I am sure that you will find it a better mail client than Netscape Mail. Well
at least that is my experience, although the Mozilla mail client is not to
bad. If you are using Kde as your desktop environment it would cost in you
more in system resources to use Mozilla or Netscape Mail. However if you are
going to use Gnome as your desktop environment I would recommend looking at
Balsa which has improved heaps since the version that was found in potato.
Also you might consider Mozilla mail over Netscape.

Sorry Vic but the sad fact is that Netscape 4.77 will not improve as it is a
binary only that is not being developed anymore.

Well hope this is useful. If you have anymore questions about Kmail or other
stuff drop us a line. You can send it to the Computerbank support list as
well cbsupport at lists.linux.org.au as Kylie has suggested that we try and get
that list up and running.

Cheers
John