[Aslug] ITWire - Interview with Carla Schroder

Ken T professorsnapper at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:39:12 EST 2011

Folks,

On the topic of what the focus of the LUG could be in engaging with, and
engougaging participation with, the broader community (and getting more
active members!), I found the following snippet from an interview to be
thought-provoking...
*"Encouraging people into computing is a difficult job at the best of times.
How do you approach it and how did you come to develop an interest in it?

*It is hard, and sometimes I think the US has produced generations of
easily-discouraged quitters who have no idea how to really work at
something, how to learn new skills, how to plug away at a task until they
master it. And so we have these efforts like Unity and Gnome 3 chasing
people who really aren't interested in computers, trying to win them over by
being so ultra-easy that they'll be irresistible. I think this is a loser
strategy, because smartphones and tablets are perfect for the
just-let-me-poke-it crowd. PCs are incredibly powerful, wonderful
general-purpose machines, and I think a better approach is to show how they
have brought formerly expensive, difficult tasks like audio production,
color photography, movie making, industrial design, 3D printing and home
fabs, and much more into the reach of home users, hobbyists, and small
businesses. Approach people according to their interests, show them how
computers can help them be creative and do things they enjoy faster,
cheaper, and better.*"*
**
A link to the original article here -
http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/48417-foss-advocate-whos-free-frank-and-fearless

I'd be keen to hear what you folks think... it seems to me to suggest a
useful approach for this little LUG.

Ta,
Ken.
--