[Aslug] ASLUG: Meeting April 13th.

Adrian Casey agc at agcasey.com
Sun Apr 10 19:20:01 UTC 2005

I've long believed that python is the best language to use to introduce
children to programming.  I recently read about a wonderful module included
with most python distibutions called "turtle".  The idea is to get the turtle
to draw interesting patterns by issuing instructions in python.

Here's a quick sample -:

python
>>> import turtle
>>> turtle.forward(100)
>>> turtle.right(90)

You get the idea.  Of course, you can use loops as per standard python -:

>>> for i in range(4):
...		turtle.forward(100)
...		turtle.left(90)

I'll leave it up to you to see what the result it.  Anyway, at the next
meeting, I thought we could have a talk about how to get kids interested in
programming.  The python turtle is one excellent example.  What others are
available in the opensource world?

See you Wednesday, 19:00 at the Scout Hall.
--
Cheers.
Adrian Casey.