[LC++]Schildt...

Paul M Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Thu Mar 21 17:50:05 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:13:05AM -0000, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:

> > Is Herb Schildt still considered persona non grata in the C++
> > community,
> > or has he cleaned up his act? A survey of my books shows I
> > own at least
> > three of his books on C++. (Yes, I'm ashamed.)
>
> huh ?
> *puzzled*
> If you're looking for good C++ books, le me recommend Scott Meyer's
> Effective C++ and More Effective C++. And probably any other of his
> books, if he's made more.

I should have checked comp.lang.c++ before asking this question. The
Schildt flames continue. Since you seem puzzled by this, I'd suggest
checking out the above newsgroup. The general concensus is that Schildt
is a good writer who puts out books full of errors, inaccuracies, and
outright falsehoods. I just bought "C/C++ Programmer's Reference"
without bothering to check who wrote it. I got it home and realized
Schildt had written it. Ugh. I started using it, and found a serious
omission in the first thing I looked up.

Paul