[technest] Fwd: Announcement/ update on Eurisko Melbourne, 2nd & 3rd November 2013

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Fri May 24 10:26:53 EST 2013

From: Paul Szymkowiak <paulszym at gmail.com>
Time: 1:30 PM
To: ozhs-net, hackerspace_br., sydney-hackspa., artifactory-co.,
hackerspace-ad., egmakers, mhv-announce, discuss

Hi folks,

Apologies for the broad announcement, but I wanted to try and get this
first "semi-official" notification out to as many folks as possible:
sorry if you get spammed multiple times.

I've mentioned this to some of you in online or AFK discussions over the
past year.  We're planning a 2-day event in early November here in
Melbourne, with a focus on makers, hackers, crafters and other DIY/ DIT
cultures and communities.  As a general reference, this is a follow on
event for part of the team that ran Melbourne Mini Maker Faire, with a
similar community focus, style and approach to the event.

We soft-launched the event site a month or so back, but we're now
starting to ramp up the comms about the event and the content updates on
the site.

Ammon, James and myself (all members of the 2012 Melbourne Mini Maker
Faire team) are running point on the early-stage event organisation, but
the main intent of the event is to offer community groups and
individuals the chance to actively engage in bringing the event
together, and to have the opportunity to share knowledge and skill on
the DIY/ DIT projects you are passionate about.  As such, I'd love to
see individual hacker/ makers - as well as your collective groups -
represented, and taking advantage of the opportunity.

You can find various answers to a number of the questions you may have
at euriskomelbourne.com (with more answers forthcoming as the site
evolves).  The website is very much a work in progress: an iterative and
incremental development effort, maintained as a volunteer effort, and
balancing the immediate practical needs with longer-term ideas.  We'd
welcome and very much appreciate any feedback and input you have on the
website (bug reports also welcome!) or the event itself .

I'll offer a few points here that might be a helpful start:

  - 2nd & 3rd of November 2013
  - At the Artshouse Meat Market venue in North Melbourne (near Royal
Womens hospital)
  - Run in conjunction with City of Melbourne's Knowledge Week events.
  - focus on "discovery by doing", with a preference for contributors
who are interested in openly sharing their projects, knowledge and skill.
  - intending to support as wide a community of DIY/ DIT folks as
possible: makers, hackers, crafters, performers, etc.
  - intending to support suitably-aligned commercial activities, such as
"maker" product or service sales.

If you have any questions, please send them either via the website
contact options, feel free to ask them on this thread, or (if you
prefer) send me an email directly.

I'm hoping I'll get to catch up with/ meet as many of you as possible in
November!

Cheers,

Paul

Paul (Zee) Szymkowiak