[Sfd] FOSS, Science, and Public activism

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 00:48:44 UTC 2006

Hi Michael and sfd folks

Thanks for the interesting message. Michael.

The interstection between activism computing and science is
interesting hey. Partly tricky because generally speaking librarians,
geeks and scientists have a tradition or a culture of keeping a low
political profile(imho).
Current moves to make international laws to control information and
technology make it basically a choice between engaging politically and
losing the freedoms necessary to function.(imho) I think this feels
awkward and 'out there' for some people. I'm trying to be fairly
pragmatic in the way that I make stuff to promote these ideas.

I am in Australia.
We are facing a draft of the DMCA which I feel is a
concern for free software and access to knowledge.

I am looking for specific examples which would be clear on a basic
poster for people new to the idea of FOSS and access to information
about the impacts of DRM and TPM.

The XBox running linux and enabling stroke victims to use it for rehab
is a good example of where the DRM/DMCA potential to shut in a
technology is not in the public interest.

There was a US example where doctors were shut out of medical records.

There was an example where cars were locked into a council car park.

What are other good examples of DRM being a benefit for the individual
Cright owner at the expense of real functional and disproportionate
losses for the general public.

These kinds of pragmatic examples that people can visualise help
to communicate the issue in a way which feels factual and consistent
with science/geek/librarian practice and also hopefully makes some
good basic poster material which will get these fairly abstract
concepts to feel real for people
outside of these industries.

Also feel free to hit me with links for good poster friendly specific
project benefit info on use of copyleft in schools or education.

Thanks

Janet