[Sfd] Bundaberg SFD Report

Matthew Davidson mjd at almatech.net.au
Fri Sep 16 06:34:51 UTC 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:
> I find this is a symptom of a larger problem in society, specifically that
> a good deal of the population are apparently convinced that the only
> reason a person would do anything, or do it well, is for personal
> financial gain.  Even a cursory view of human history would show how
> inaccurate this proposition is.  The capitialist system we use is of
> course a very recent development.  A good many ancient societies appear to
> have operated as gift economies (rather than barter economies as is often
> claimed).  In these societies OSS would appear natural, even obvious.

The biggest problem that I've come across since moving to Coffs
(although I'm sure it's as much evident in Sydney and elsewhere) is that
the very notion of a self-help community of peers is totally foreign to
many people, if not the majority.

I've been involved in both of the computer clubs here, and I've been
shocked by the rudeness of some people who attend meetings with an
attitude of "I've paid my two dollars at the door, and I demand
service!"  At the less obnoxious extreme there is the problem of people
who are reluctant to actively participate despite having much to
contribute because they feel they are lacking some necessary
qualification that sets producers apart from consumers.

It's almost as if there are several generations of people who have been
bred to insist "I am not a human being, I am a customer!"  I would be
tempted to surmise that this tendency began with the circulation of
"economic literacy" materials from business lobby groups in schools from
the seventies onwards, but seniors can be the worst of the lot.

It strikes me as ironic that it's necessary for stereotypically
introverted computer geeks to teach the rest of society how to behave as
members of a community.

Matthew.

--
Alma Technology