[Sfd] Bundaberg SFD Report

Chris Walker sfd at bundylug.org
Wed Sep 14 01:05:10 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Bundaberg had a fairly successful day all things considered.

A very brief writeup is on the SFD page on the BundyLUG website at -
<http://www.bundylug.org/sfd.php>

12 pics have been posted in the SFD gallery at -
<http://sf-day.org/gallery/index.php?gallery=./SFD%202005%20Events/Bundaberg%2C%20Qld%2C%20Australia>

The Bundaberg Team managed to give out about 50 OpenCD's in the
Bundaberg CBD, which was considerably less than we had hoped to
do, but was still a mighty effort by those involved.
Thank you.

Pedestrian traffic was very light on Saturday which we think was
due to the local grand opening of "Pimp My Ride" which had a BBQ,
Bikini Girls and other entertainment for the younger set 8am-8pm?

How do you compete with that ;-)

Also it was the week of "Bundy in Bloom" so there were probably a
few sore heads from the Mayor's Ball or other functions as well
as being the first weekend of the Qld school holidays with a
Family Fun Day.

An unexpected problem was the attitude of many passers-by who
thought there must be a catch with the CD's being "Free" and
didn't want to get caught by any scam or other sales pitch???
They just couldn't understand they were given away for "Free"!

Media attention = NIL
This was very disappointing and I feel a similar attitude as found
by the Coffs Harbour team, both our areas are "rural" dominated
and it seems that things "technological" are from another planet?

Three commercial TV stations and 2 local newspapers were contacted
in the week leading up to the event but we were totally ignored.

We received about 90 OpenCDs and a few Ubuntu CDs from Pia Waugh,
(Thank you Pia and Linux Australia, they are much appreciated),
and we burned another 100 OpenCDs put in printed CD envelopes and
had another 100 CDs & envelopes on hand just in case.

Of the CDs that remain, we will keep a few to give out at BundyLUG
meetings, but all the rest are going to be given out to such places
as computer skills training organisations (several), U3A, some of
the "Lifestyle Villages", educational and other computer clubs and
one on the schedule for today is.... a team of Chiropractors ;-)

We have had our "Post-Mortem" and will be back in 2006 and planning
is already underway, we all enjoyed participating in this event
and are keen to make it far more successful next year.

All the best to everyone for Software Freedom Day 06!

Cheers,
Chris.