[PyCon-AU-chat] First time speakers lightning talks!

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 10:41:52 EST 2012

Hello!

If you have perused the schedule for tomorrow you may have noticed this session:

13:10 Portlight room
http://2012.pycon-au.org/schedule/73/view_talk?day=sunday

Yep it's a third set of lightning talks. Lightning talks are very
short talks, typically 3-5 minutes.

The standard days' end lightning talks are a great part of PyCon.
*These* lightning talks are about growing our community by providing a
friendly environment for people who have never spoken at a technical
community conference before, that's a little bit less intensive than
speaking to the entire conference at once. (So maybe 'zero time
speaker' would be more accurate than 'first time speaker' :))

If you have never given a talk before and you want to give a lightning
talk in the days' end session by signing up on the whiteboard, you
should do that! This session is more for people whose first reaction
is more like "Speak? Me?" or "but I'm not a speaker".

Students and first time attendees, I am especially eyeballing you!

So! If you want to sign up for the first time lightning talks, please
come to our preparation BOF (Birds of a feather - informally organised
group) TODAY:

13:10 Riviera Room (open space area)

Come and discuss potential topics, slide preparation, talk structure,
and  O HALP PUBLIC SPEAKING TERROR.

If you can't make it to that time today, please email me off list to
sign up or discuss.

thanks!
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/