[PyCon-AU-announce] Announcing keynote Dr Russell Keith-Magee

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 10:12:25 AEST 2016

The PyCon Australia 2016 team is happy to announce that our first keynote
speaker will be Dr Russell Keith-Magee.

We’re familiar with Python as a scripting language, as a web server
language, as a data analysis language, and as a teaching language. But is
that the limit of where Python can be used? What is the future for Python
on other platforms? Is the prospect of using Python on those platforms a
novelty, or a viable way to fend off an existential threat to the language?
And how does this threat intersect with other threats we have to our
community, and to our industry?

Dr Russell Keith-Magee is a 10 year veteran of the Django core team, and
for 5 years, was President of the Django Software Foundation. He's also the
founder of the BeeWare project, developing GUI tools to support the
development of Python software. When he's not contributing to open source,
he's the CTO of TradesCloud, a company providing integrated job management
software for tradespeople.

“Python has long been available on ‘all the platforms’, but it hasn't kept
up with the massive increase in mobile devices,” said Richard Jones,
conference chair. “Russell has has been an exemplary community leader and
his open source projects are doing the important work of addressing that
lack of coverage.”

We are excited to hear Russell’s keynote address and contemplate the
multi-platform future of Python. Will you be there?

Registrations for PyCon Australia 2016 are already open and tickets are
selling fast. Book your conference ticket today!
https://2016.pycon-au.org/register/prices

=== About PyCon Australia ===

PyCon Australia is the national conference for the Python programming
community. The seventh PyCon Australia will be held on August 12-16 2016 in
Melbourne, bringing together professional, student and enthusiast
developers with a love for programming in Python. PyCon Australia informs
the country’s developers with presentations by experts and core developers
of Python, as well as the libraries and frameworks that they rely on.

To find out more about PyCon Australia 2016, visit our website at
http://pycon-au.org, follow us at @pyconau <https://twitter.com/pyconau> or
e-mail us at contact at pycon-au.org.

PyCon Australia is presented by Linux Australia (www.linux.org.au) and
acknowledges the support of our Platinum Sponsors, DevDemand.co and IRESS;
and our Gold sponsors, Google Australia and Optiver. For full details of
our sponsors, see our website.