[PyCon-AU-announce] PyCon AU related events: Data Carpentry, MelbDjango, PyLadies, Running group

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:54:18 AEST 2016

It's PyCon Australia week! We trust you are as excited as we are! 😁

There are a few events happening this week in close association with PyCon
AU. Check out the details below:

On Wednesday and Thursday, there will be a *Data Carpentry Workshop
<https://alistairwalsh.github.io/2016-08-10-Pre-Pycon_Data_Carpentry_Workshop/>*
at VLSCI (University of Melbourne). This is a hands-on workshop teaching
basic concepts, skills and tools for working more effectively with data.
It's well suited to researchers and scientists, but open to anyone
(including people not attending the conference). Topics covered will
include OpenRefine, SQL, and Pandas. It's free to attend but see the web
page to register.

Data Carpentry is a sibling organization of Software Carpentry. Where
Software Carpentry teaches best practices in software development, the Data
Carpentry focus is on the introductory computational skills needed for data
management and analysis in all domains of research.

We are big fans of Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry at PyCon
Australia; last year a Software Carpentry workshop was held alongside PyCon
AU in Brisbane, so we are happy to see this tradition continue. Let's
pythonify ALL the scientists!

On Thursday evening, there will be the *MelbDjango birthday party
<https://www.meetup.com/MelbDjango/events/232774067/>* to celebrate
MelbDjango turning three! That's a huge achievement for any meetup to
sustain, let alone the other things they have also done - organising
MelbDjango Camp, and MelbDjango Schools to share their knowledge and love
for Django to new audiences. Congratulations to Brenton and the Common Code
crew -- here's to another three years. 🎂

Finally, on Saturday morning, the *PyLadies breakfast
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pyladies-breakfast-with-pycon-australia-tickets-26914129887>*
will be happening at Left Bank Melbourne, just up the road on Southbank.
This is also a free event, but please register by Friday for catering.

The PyLadies Melbourne <http://melbourne.pyladies.com/> chapter just formed
this year, and it's an exciting and rare chance for women and
genderqueer/non-binary Pythonistas from around the country to meet in
person and make connections. *We are looking for a sponsor for this event.*
As the conference is sold out we unfortunately can't offer any free
tickets, but we would be heartened to see financial support forthcoming for
diversity and inclusion in the tech industry. *If you or your company is
interested, please contact us <contact at pycon-au.org>.*

On the days of the conference, there will be a *Running group
<https://2016.pycon-au.org/wiki/Running>*. There are some great runs
planned and it's the best way to prepare for a day of sitting down watching
presentations, so pack your sneakers!

=== About PyCon Australia ===

PyCon Australia is the national conference for the Python programming
community. The seventh PyCon Australia will be held on August 12-16 2016 in
Melbourne, bringing together professional, student and enthusiast
developers with a love for programming in Python. PyCon Australia informs
the country’s developers with presentations by experts and core developers
of Python, as well as the libraries and frameworks that they rely on.

To find out more about PyCon Australia 2016, visit our website at
http://pycon-au.org, follow us at @pyconau <https://twitter.com/pyconau> or
e-mail us at contact at pycon-au.org.

PyCon Australia is presented by Linux Australia (www.linux.org.au) and
acknowledges the support of our Platinum Sponsors, DevDemand.co and IRESS;
and our Gold sponsors, Google Australia, Optiver and Hewlett Packard
Enterprise. For full details of our sponsors, see our website.