[PyCon-AU-announce] Alex Gaynor to present Keynote at PyCon Australia 2013

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:00:27 EST 2013

With half of our Early Bird tickets sold, we're very pleased to
announce core Django, PyPy, and CPython developer Alex Gaynor as the
first of our keynote presenters for PyCon Australia 2013, to be held
on July 6--7, alongside DjangoCon AU on July 5, in Hobart, Tasmania.

It's hard to find members of the Python community with more diverse
interests than Alex. As well as his contributions to Python and
Django, he works as a Software Engineer at Rdio; he's also responsible
for Topaz, a Ruby implementaton (completely written in Python, of
course).

These interests have led him to wonder about the type of work
programmers do: "Are we engineers? Are we scientists? Craftspeople?
Something else entirely? Are software engineers, software developers,
software architects, and programmers all really the same thing?", asks
Alex. "My keynote explores the nature of our work as programmers, and
its relationship to the scientific method."

As well as being a regular presenter at Python conferences all over
the world, Alex serves as a board member of the Django Software
Foundation and as a member of the Python Software Foundation.

We at PyCon Australia can't wait to hear Alex's insights on the role
of the prorgrammer in July! Registration is open at
http://2013.pycon-au.org with Early Bird rates available to the first
80 paid delegates, or until Friday 3 May, 2013.

== About PyCon Australia ==

PyCon Australia is the national conference for the Python Programming
Community. The fourth PyCon Australia will be held on July 5--7, 2013
in Hobart, Tasmania, bringing together professional, student and
enthusiast developers with a love for developing with Python. PyCon
Australia informs the country’s Python developers with presentations,
tutorials and panel sessions by experts and core developers of Python,
as well as the libraries and frameworks that they rely on.

To find out more about PyCon Australia 2013, visit our website at
http://pycon-au.org or e-mail us at contact at pycon-au.org.

PyCon Australia is presented by Linux Australia (www.linux.org.au) and
acknowledges the support of our Platinum sponsor: Australian Computer
Society (Tasmanian Branch) (www.acs.org.au); and our Gold Sponsors,
Google Australia (www.google.com.au), the Tasmanian Government
Department of Economic Development, and TasICT. For full details of
our sponsors, see our website.