[PHPwestoz] CMSs/web applications - opinions?

Samuel Cochran sj26 at sj26.com
Wed Jan 5 00:12:02 UTC 2005

I want to expand a bit...

this application isn't a last-ditch effort to throw together some
scripts and hope they all work together - that's exactly what i'm trying
to stop! what I want to do is create a common web application framework
but something that doesn't require a great deal of programming...
basically it will consist of:

-   A user/session/profile etc system with session/hit tracking for
statistics/etc purposes
-   A groups system which allows multiple memberships, differing
internal permissions levels (group moderator), etc...
-   An objects system which allows the creation of all sorts of objects
- this is the main area for extensibility - it allows the creation of a
web page, category, forum, topic, post, article, link, image, template,
user, group, etc. Everything is an object that can be interrelated - not
just child/parent relationships but varying degrees of relationships,
networks of relationships, etc. Yes, it becomes complex, but it can also
be extremely simple. This is meant to be an extremely scalable system.
-   A granualar permissions system which allows you to control all
permissions granted to users, be they global (like the ability to have
an avatar) or local (being able to write to a particular object)
-   An object view system which allows you to create objects which
provide a 'view' of other objects, like a filter, which can then be
exported to a layout, which then exports to a style. This will be
heavily XML based.
-   A sophisticated caching system which caches pages, objects and/or
views where appropriate. It will be a JIT caching system which is used
when required - for example, a blog page doens't need to be changed, it
is almost static, however, a 'latest topics' component needs (almost)
constant updating, therefore a blog page with a 'latest topics'
component would cache the page except for the *data* of the latest
topics, the actual layout and style (presentation side) would be cached.

I'm kinda spewing thoughts all over the place here, but it's good (for
me at least... i should put a patent pending or something on this stuff :P)

This combination allows the greatest scalability along with the greatest
ease of use, all within a highly optimised and performance-based system.

I am using some phpBB 2.1.x libraries as an outline, but that's IT, I am
developing everything basically from the ground up.

I have seen innumerable CMSs and forums and web applications, etc, and
NONE of them offer the full set of this basic functionality - phpBB
comes close but still has rigid object types (forums/topics/posts) and I
intend to fill that gap.

When I do finally get the core worked out I'm gonna need people to start
making object type plugins, layouts, styles, views, and all sorts of
things. For example, a forum consists of:
-   category/forum/topic/post  object types, with the addition of
standard user/group items.
-   font-page, category (forum lists), forum (topic lists), topic (posts
list, user information) views, administrative views, post views, etc.
-   layouts for each of the above
-   (a) style(s)

However, a simple blog may only consist of a collectiong of page objects
with a simple raw-output view, layout, and style. you could then add in
commenting, etc... but this is a basic example.

I intent also to host a copy of this running myself, offering fre email,
blogs, communities (groups, friend networks, forums, etc), corporate
website hosting/building, corporate customisations/modifications
(including new object type building, etc, styles, layouts, views, site
integration/migration), etc...

My philosphy is to provide the software free but charge for services.

Now that i've set out my plan before you 15, what do you think?

-- Samuel Cochran
   sj26 at sj26.com
   +61 4 15441909