[Lugcomms] OpenCDs for SFD, installfests and other events

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Apr 9 02:24:08 UTC 2008

On 09/04/2008, Donna Benjamin <donna at mel8ourne.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 22:34 +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>  > For the Education Expo, I obtained a quote from a company here in Sydney,
>  > Media Movers. The price was $650 for 1000 discs - pressed, colour printed,
>  > inserted into a clear plastic sleeve and delivered in the Sydney area. I
>  > could negotiate having a printed cardboard sleeve. Delivery fees are standard
>  > courier rates, but I think we can arrange something there as well.
>
>  Yeah - that's about right - $715 GST inc.

Gah, I forgot to mention the price with GST included :(

>  > They are keen to take up my suggestion of a proper business relationship,
>  > which should make things easier for us in the future as we won't need to go
>  > shopping around and experimenting with new vendors.
>
>  Agreed it is good to find a supplier and stick with them.
>  I deal with MultipliCD in Melbourne - and got a quote from them for
>  thousands of CDs to be attached to the front of Teacher magazine - a
>  national mag distributed free to teachers in schools - in the lead up to
>  software freedom day. But that's a BIG investment.

I wonder what their prices are for smaller runs? We don't want to be
printing too many, given that the rapid development of FOSS can render
discs obsolete within months.

One thing I didn't mention in my last message was that my quote was
for full colour printing on the discs, not just 4-colours (which
reminds me of the bad old days of CGA on my IBM PC back in the '80s :p
).

I did ask them about printed cardboard sleeves, but the price is
considerably greater: $1243 including GST (versus $715 for plastic
sleeves).