[LCP] Regarding programming libraries

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Fri Mar 6 08:15:19 EST 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Moises Silva wrote:

> I had a similar situation for my library. Since I only needed about 2%
> of the functionality of the other LGPL library, I just moved the code
> I needed into my own library. However you have to consider whether
> this library you depend on is likely to get important updates (both in
> functionality or security). If they are not that popular probably this
> is not true and you can just link statically with it and update it
> when you feel is better.
>
> I'd suggest that you say which libraries are these and why you feel
> you need them, that way better advice can be provided.
>
> Moy
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Christopher Howard <choward at indicium.us> wrote:
>> I was working on my open source C app (for Linux) and I wanted to
>> implement a certain kind of functionality. I found two shared libraries
>> (also open source) on the internet which seemed like they would be very
>> helpful.
>>
>> However, both libraries, as far as I can tell, were made fairly recently,
>> and are not very popular, so they aren't in the repositories. I'm
>> concerned that if I link to these that no one will want to use my program
>> anymore because they would have to find, compile, and install these
>> libraries.
>>
>> What do you think I should do? Should I include a copy of these libaries
>> with the source code? Or is it enough just to tell them where to get the
>> libraries? Or should I just forget about it?
>>
>> I was also reading this tutorial on line describing how to make static
>> builds of libaries. I've never done it before, but I suppose I could get
>> the original source code for the libraries and compile them for a static
>> build.
>>
>> Any suggestions or deep insights?
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Howard
>> http://indicium.us
>> http://theologia.indicium.us

> --
> "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the
> death your right to say it." Voltaire

I had been thinking about using libmrss, from
http://www.autistici.org/bakunin/libmrss/doc/, which was the only open
source C library for RSS/Atom feed parsing that I could find. I was going
to use it to add a feed ticker to one of my programs.

However, since then I thought it over and decided that a feed ticker isn't
a high priority feature in the application anyway, so I put decided to put
the idea on hold and focus on other parts of program development.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us