[LCP] best ipc mechanism

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 00:18:28 UTC 2007

hi vineeth,

vineeth saraschandran wrote:
> I know there are many different ipc mechanism to communicate between different process running on a same local machine.
> I am trying to figure out which one will be the best possible method for my application.
>
> The requirements for my application are:
> 1.I need to transfer around 40,000 bytes of data from one process to another. This data transfer will occur at a very frequent time interval.(Can I use local unix socket to transfer these data or shared memory is better approach?).

sysv shared memory is one way, mmap'ing files, or UDP streams another

have a look at the comp.lang.c faq;
 http://c-faq.com/

this socket programming howto is in python, but the concepts are the same;
 http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/

and some interesting stuff in the secure programing howto;
 http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/features.html

cheers,

kim