[LCP] Debugging a core dump

Ludwig Isaac Lim ludz_lim at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 09:36:11 UTC 2007

Hi:

   I'm trying to debug a program which dumps a core file (
I compiled the program with a "-g" flag). I tried setting
the core size by using the following command:

     ulimit -c 1000

   I tried debugging it by :
     gdb <program name> <name of the core>

   gdb gives me the following error message :
   <core file> is not a core dump: file format not
recognized.

    What is should be ideal size of a core dump for it be
helpful in debugging a program?

     Many thanks!

ludwig