[LCP]Printing a Variables Value..!!!

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Tue Jun 24 15:01:01 UTC 2003

On 2003-06-23, Mike and/or Penny Novack wrote:

> Folks, do I need to specifiy that I am NOT "guessing" about what might
> be useful for Mohamed to investigate?

If you have special knowledge and want us to know, then you
might find it useful to specify it.

> And just FYI, the stock debuggers available in the mainframe world from
> which I came DO commonly offer profiling. Much more useful than a system
> level profiler if your application is occupying <<1% of the machine and
> since you prefer the profile report in terms of source code rather than
> raw displacements, that part at least is well within the province of a
> "debugger".

I don't understand your point here.  If you think Unix profilers
don't provide useful information that can be used with source
code, you haven't been paying attention and you certainly have
not bothered to find out what they do.  If you wish to argue
about that, read some manuals, try out a Unix profiler, and then
find a suitable forum to discuss it in -- it's my understanding
that this one is aimed at C, whereas profilers and debuggers are
general purpose tools.

Greg