[LCP]c pointers book

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Tue Jan 7 18:44:01 UTC 2003

Bill Rausch wrote:

| At 7:18 +1000 1/5/03, Greg Black wrote:
| >np linux wrote:
| >
| >| I will like to know if there is any good book/link
| >| available on C pointers which talks beyond K&R's C
| >| programming book.
| >
| >Everything you need to know about pointers is covered by K&R.
| >There are almost no other books on C that are not rubbish.  If
|
| Actually, I have found one other excellent book that spends quite a
| bit of time discussing pointers and arrays.  Peter van der Linden
| works for Sun in their compiler/OS kernel group.  A quote I read
| somewhere "This book should be every programmer's second book on C.".
| I tend to agree.

That book is one of the books that I classified as rubbish.
When I was sent a review copy, I found myself writing scathing
comments on the margins of almost every page, some of them
noting actual errors and some of them pointing out ordinary
stupidity.  He is somebody who has no excuse for writing such a
crock, but he went and did it and then didn't bother to get it
properly reviewed before publication.  He also quoted the names
of several people who could have done that review as if they had
read the book and approved of it -- but none of them had seen it
before it burst onto the bookshelves.  Do yourself a favour and
burn any copies you find.

Greg