From: Matthew Sanderson [mailto:matthew@DaMOO.csun.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 7:12 PM
To: linuxcprogramming@lists.linux.org.au
Subject: RE: [LCP]how to obtain a list of installed device drivers on a
Li nux box

Shalabh,

Maybe you need tools like this on Windows. But on Linux, I don't need a
program like this to tell me what's happening, because what's happening is
what I said should happen (or there has been some sort of catastrophic
error like a hardware failure).

In this case the device drivers installed on the system are the ones I
said 'Y' or 'M' to when I compiled the kernel (or the ones the vendor said
'Y' or 'M' to if I'm running their kernel). I personally can't see a need
for this tool; all it does it show me what I entered into the computer
earlier.

Are you aware of Hotplug? It makes it pretty much unnecessary for most
users to worry about device drivers, so it might remove the need for
your tool if there is one.

If you're certain you want this, this is how I think I would do it. It's
an apalling crock:

1. Define 'device driver' - for example, a device driver is anything that
registers a network device with the kernel, or anything that claims a USB
device, or anything that creates a new 'struct pci_driver' or calls
pci_register_driver (see include/linux/pci.h), etc.
2. Parse the .config file corresponding to the current kernel, and take
note of anything compiled in ('=y') or modularised ('=m'). I think RedHat
installs the .config file along with the precompiled kernel binary that
corresponds to it; dunno about other vendors. How you figure out which
.config file to use from where, and whether it matches the currently
running kernel, I dunno.
3. Use /proc/ksyms, objdump --syms /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivermodule.o,
or even parsing the kernel source, to figure out which of the compiled
bits of kernel from step 2 match your definition of 'device driver' from
step 1. This will probably require all sorts of dodgy guesswork and ad-hoc
special cases, and I bet you still won't find all the things you would
call a 'device driver'. (Ex: what if some naughty driver doesn't call
register_foo, but instead just adds itself to the foo list directly?)
4. Use modinfo/lsmod/etc to get the driver info you want (you know how to
do this apparently).

I'll be pretty surprised if this ever works acceptably...

HTH,

--matt