[LCP]print msword documents

Matthew Palmer mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 18:30:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Joachim Bauernberger wrote:

> | > is it possible to print msword documents through a c
> program(running on
> | > linux)? if yes how? can anyone explain.
> |
> | Yes.  Read the Wurd doc and translate it into PostScript.  Then run it
> | through a PostScript printer or Ghostscript to print it.
> |
> | The devil is, of course, in the detail.
>
> I thought Word documents are binary and not translatable into other
> formats by any other than M$-word??

Well, how do you think that Wurd is capable of printing?  It has to
translate it into a language the printer understands (since, AFAIK, no
printers talk Wurd natively - and isn't *that* a scary thought).

> (Of course there is StarOffice, etc but didn't they have to reverse
> engineer in order to get where they are??)

Yes, but that isn't what you asked.  You asked if it was possible to print
MS Wurd documents in C, and you can.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au