[LCP]Suggestions for authenticating users...

Andrew Edmondson inbox at andy.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 07:04:05 UTC 2002

I would go with the crypt()ed passwords using an /etc/passwd - like file with
locked down permissions. It's a known format, easy to use and you can use
getlogin() to get the username and find the line you want in the file, thus
preventing people from trying other account passwords.

Also, it would be very simple to write the function to update this kind of
flat file.

It should be ok on windows too, the client connects to the server, the server
asks for username, the client responds with the windows username, server asks
for a password, user gives the password. Should be fine.